- Come to our Violence against people with disabilities in their homes forum on 24/09/18. At this forum we will be launching an exciting array of multimedia resources aimed at raising awareness of different types of violence against people with disability in their own homes, including live performances from the Access and Equity program at TAFE Qld, illustrations by emerging artist with a disability Hayley Marrs, and speakers including Alistair McEwin, Australia’s Disability Discrimination Commissioner. Register now.
- Lots of consultations last week:
- On 13/09/18, QAI took part in the Department of Transport and Main Roads’ New Generation Rollingstock access consultation, where disability representatives scored three possible carriage seating layouts based on their amenity, availability, comfort, convenience, dignity, price and safety.
- We went to the Australian Human Right Commission consultation on their Human Rights and Technology project on 14/11/18. Submissions on their issues paper close on 2/10/18.
- We went to the Australian Human Rights Commission consultation in relation to the implementation of the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT), also on 14/11/18. QAI’s submission on the second consultation paper went in on the same day.
- Nick has been working with our colleagues to establish a pilot to develop best practice NDIS supports for prisoners.
- We attended the Hot Topics Local Support Group Digital Stories launch by QDN and Griffith University as part of Disability Action Week on 11/09/18, more information here.
- QAI’s submission on the second consultation paper on the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT), was submitted on 14/11/18.
- We made a submission to the Australian Senate Community Affairs References Committee inquiry into the My Health Record system on 14/11/18.
Call to action: