What’s happening at QAI – fortnightly update
- We’re getting ready for the Care Expo from 14-15 September 2018 at the Brisbane Entertainment and Convention Centre. Hear from our NDIS Support Advocates, speaking at 2pm on 14 September, and our Systems Advocates, speaking at 11am on 15 September. Our stall will be staffed across both days. Come say hello!
- We’ve been working on materials to help clarify the role of guardians when the person is also subject to a mental health order. Watch this space.
- Nick attended the Disability Services Partnership Forum which met on 9/08/18 to hear about NDIS data trends.
- On 22/08/18 there was a Combined Advocacy Groups Queensland meeting with plans for a face to face conference later this year.
- Nick Collyer and Committee member Donna Best continued QAI’s participation in a self-advocates working group at QDN on 24/08/18.
- QAI staff are on the move this week –Jo Sampford is at TheMHS Learning Network Inc annual conference, Elizabeth Beaumont is at the National Association of Community Legal Centres annual conference, and Tania Steinmuller and Rebekah Leong attended masterclasses also organised by the National Association of Community Legal Centres.
- On 20/08/18, Nick Collyer and Emma Phillips appeared at the public hearing on the Inquiry into wage theft in Queensland. View the video here (Nick and Emma are the first witnesses).
- QAI has started work on our submission on the second consultation paperon the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT), due mid-September.
- On 24/08/18, QAI made a submission to the Productivity Commission’s National Disability Agreement review.
- QAI participated in a round table consultation regarding the review of the National Partnership Agreement on Legal Assistance Service. Written submissions are due on 30/09/18.
Call to action: