- QAI welcomes new NDIS Appeals Advocate Tania Steinmuller!
- QAI Senior Lawyer – Law Reform and Systems Advocacy Emma Phillips has been named chair of the National Human Rights Act sub-committee of Australian Lawyers for Human Rights. Emma continues to be active in the campaign for a Human Rights Act in Queensland. See their webpage or facebook page for their recent activities.
- QAI will be preparing a submission on the second consultation paper on the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT), due mid-September.
- QAI has been named a recipient of Legal Aid Queensland’s Community Legal Education (CLE) Fund grant to produce pamphlets, videos and a forum involving live theatre to increase awareness, education and support for people with disability in residential settings who experience violence and abuse. For more details about the forum on 24/09/18, including registration, please see here.
- On 20/08/18, QAI will be appearing at the public hearing to speak to our submission on the Inquiry into wage theft in Queensland
- My Health Record Pros and Cons – a factsheet to help you decide whether to opt in or out of My Health Record.
- My Health Record Privacy Control Tips – things you can do to protect your privacy
Call to action:
- Our NDIS Serco Call Centre survey is live: Soon after posting it, QAI got just less than a thousand responses to our petition (now closed) protesting the NDIS-involvement of Serco, a multinational company that runs prisons and 11 Australian immigration detention centres, and Queensland Advocacy Inc is concerned that Serco won’t support NDIS values and principles. QAI has released a survey to gauge people’s experiences with the NDIS call centre (1800800110). Please check it out if you have called that number recently.
- Become a member and come to our AGM on 25/10/18.