What is happening to you?

I’m being controlled by someone

Drawing of a shadowy figure leading a blind figure while walking

How is someone controlling you?

Here are some examples:

Someone is…

  • Stopping you from seeing family and friends
  • Keeping your medication away from you
  • Taking away your mobility aid
  • Taking control of your mobility aid
  • Stopping you from spending your money

Nobody has the right to control you.

Who is controlling you?

This might be: A parent, brother, sister, your carer, support worker, girlfriend, boyfriend or friend. This is not good. This is abuse of power.

Where are you?

You might be: At home, at a friend’s house, at an activity, work or school.

There are lots of people ready to help you.

They are people you can trust and might be:

Your family


If there is someone in your family who you feel safe with, tell them that someone is controlling you.



If someone is controlling you, you should ask someone you trust to help you tell the police.

Disability advocates


There are people who advocate for people with disability when they need help. If someone is controlling you, you may be able to get help from an advocate to make sure you are safe.



If you have a counsellor, or if you can make an appointment to see one, you can tell them that someone is controlling you and they can help to keep you safe.

Find help near where you live


This is the national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service. They can connect you with the right services for the help you need.

Phone their 24/7 Hotline: 1800 737 732
Visit their website:
www.1800respect.org.au (recommended in private browsing mode)

QAI Office

You can call our office and if we cannot assist we will try and find the right help for you in your local area.

Phone: 07 3844 4200 or 1300 130 582
Email: qai@qai.org.au