Advocacy > Human Rights
Justice Support Program
The Justice Support Program (JSP) provides non-legal advocacy for people with disability who are involved in the criminal justice system.
The advocate’s first priority is to help the person access available legal services, however the long term focus is on advocating for changes which will support the person from reoffending.
What does the JSP do?
The Justice Support Program advocate can:
- Arrange a referral to an appropriate legal service for advice or representation and support the person to make full use of the services provided
- Try to resolve the issue, particularly if the person hasn’t been charged
- Advocate with service systems to acquire appropriate and responsive supports, for example, personal assistance, counselling, etc.
- Help the person to understand and comply with Court directions – for example, bail, curfew, appearance dates, appointments etc.
Who does the JSP assist?
- The person has a disability (mental illness, intellectual impairment or physical disability); AND
- Is involved in the criminal justice system (as a suspect or defendant); AND
- The person’s disability is a contributing factor to their involvement in the criminal justice system; AND
- There is no other more appropriate service available to advocate for the person.
“I was extremely happy about the Justice Support Program which was a very big help to me. I don’t know where I would have been without Liz, she was a great help in every way possible. Thank you very much.”
Gary, JSP Client
“Very grateful for the help,
it was also very empowering.“
How do I get help?
JSP has limited resources and priority is given to people who are most vulnerable at the time of contacting JSP.
You will be required to provide certain personal details which are necessary for JSP to deliver its services. As with all QAI services, all personal information is treated as strictly confidential.
Get in touch with us
Fill in your details below and we will get back to you soon
* Fields marked with an asterisk are required