Legal help and advocacy > Non-legal advocacy
Social Work Service
The Social Work Service (SWS) is an internal allied service currently providing social work support to clients of QAI’s Human Rights Legal Service (HRLS). The SWS is guided by a social justice and human rights framework to support vulnerable persons with a disability in Queensland.
The SWS is a State-wide service based in Brisbane. Assistance is free of charge and confidential.
What does the SWS do?
The SWS can assist with:
- Case planning and management
- Safety planning
- Short term support and advocacy
- Facilitated referrals and liaison with local community or specialised services
- Provision of information and resources
- Advice and assistance navigating systems.
The extent of assistance that will be provided by the SWS is at the discretion of the service, having regard to circumstances such as the needs of the person, available resources and the capacity of the SWS at the relevant time.
The SWS cannot:
- Provide ongoing therapeutic counselling
- Assist with drafting legal documents
- Provide assessments to courts.
Where the SWS is unable to assist they will seek to provide alternative referral options.
Who does the SWS assist?
The SWS will assist people with disability who:
- Require assistance to navigate systems or processes
- Have limited supports to assist with navigating systems or processes
- Require support alongside their engagement with HRLS to increase their quality of life.
Referrals to the SWS are made by the QAI HRLS Solicitors with the person’s consent.
How do I get help?
If you receive assistance from QAI’s HRLS they may make a referral to the SWS. The HRLS team member will ask for your consent before making this referral. Referrals can be made at the suggestion of the HRLS solicitor or upon request.
You will be required to provide QAI with certain personal details which are necessary for the HRLS and SWS to deliver their services. All personal information is treated as strictly confidential.
Get in touch with us
Fill in your details below and we will get back to you soon.