Advocacy > Human Rights
The Social Work is an internal allied service currently providing social work support to clients of QAI’s Human Rights Law. Our Social Worker is guided by a social justice and human rights framework to support vulnerable persons with a disability in Queensland.
Our Social Work is a State-wide service based in Brisbane. Assistance is free of charge and confidential.
What does the Social Worker do?
Our Social Worker can assist with:
- Case planning and management
- Safety planning
- Short term support and advocacy
- Facilitated referrals and liaison with local community or specialised services
- Provision of information and resources
- Advice and assistance navigating systems.
The extent of assistance that will be provided by our Social Worker is at the discretion of the service, having regard to circumstances such as the needs of the person, available resources and our capacity at the relevant time.
Our Social Worker cannot:
- Provide ongoing therapeutic counselling
- Assist with drafting legal documents
- Provide assessments to courts.
Where our Social Worker is unable to assist they will seek to provide alternative referral options.
Who does the Social Worker assist?
Our Social Worker will assist people with disability who:
- Require assistance to navigate systems or processes
- Have limited supports to assist with navigating systems or processes
- Require support alongside their engagement with HRAP to increase their quality of life.
Referrals to our Social Worker are made by the QAI Human Rights Law Solicitors with the person’s consent.
How do I get help?
If you receive assistance from QAI’s Human Rights Law, the Solicitor may make a referral to the Social Worker. The Human Rights Law team member will ask for your consent before making this referral. Referrals can be made at the suggestion of the Human Rights Law Solicitor or upon request.
Please contact us on 07 3844 4200 or 1300 130 582 or use the contact form below if you have any questions about these guidelines.
You will be required to provide QAI with certain personal details which are necessary for the Human Rights Law team and the Social Worker to deliver their services. All personal information is treated as strictly confidential.
Get in touch with us
Fill in your details below and we will get back to you soon.